Wednesday, July 21, 2010

special orders

I really shouldn't complain about doing special orders for my shop. It means have I business, right? And any business is good, right? Well it usually doesn't feel that way to me when it comes to special orders.

A special orders means I HAVE to make something. Something of someone else's choosing. I have a deadline. Like an assignment, like homework. You see, the way I work, I make what I feel like making, what I'm inspired to create. If I discover I have the perfect colors to make rainbow goldfish crackers, I don't rest until I make them.
Or if I discover the cutest miniature rolling pins at Joann, I get up at 6 in the morning to make miniature sugar cookie dough to go with them.
Another reason I dislike special orders is that my time is limited (hence the 6 am craft wake up call). I have just enough time to make 2-3 items for my shop per week, and if that time is taken up by a special order, that means no new items for my shop, which means no sales usually (and no crafts to post on this blog). Then I begin to loathe the special order and the person who ordered it. Which brings me to the point of this post, to show off some of my recent special orders that I loathe.
This lady (who I really should not be complaining about, since she really is the nicest, most considerate customer AND orders a ton) wanted a whole pizza, plus all the extras like a personalized box. The box was the biggest pain to find, since it needed to be unprinted and the right size.
Here is the customized box - it came with 4 checkered napkins, as well as 4 order forms that I laminated so that they could be written on with dry erase markers. I had barely recovered from this project when she commissioned me for another special order.
This snack set was just a small part of her newest order - some cookies, some strawberries and a bazillion crackers. So glad it is done!

On a side note, we waited a day too long to buy our plane tickets for a trip we're planning and the price jumped a gazillion dollars. I thought I was off the hook for entertaining my boys during travel since the plane ride is only two hours long, but no. I am back to figuring out what to do with them for 13 hours in the car. So, barring any more special orders, I will be busy making/putting things together for their entertainment. We'll see if any of it ends up here, I'm not making any promises. Anyone have any great craft ideas for travel entertainment?

3 comments:

  1. I'm no help with car ideas. Tate was entertained with a McDonald's cup with lid and straw. But he's 2, so your boys may need more than that =)

    I totally understand what you're saying about the special orders. Not like I have any, but the homework analogy is good. Crafting is the only thing that will get me up in the wee hours. It's the only thing that I feel I could go without food when I'm in the middle of a project.

    Anyway, I wanted to tell you that those new items in your pictures are adorable, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock! You know how much we love your work!! And I have some things in mind for Christmas.... maybe I should tell you now...hahahaha! Seriously though, I do have some things I want to order.

    As for the car trip... we've had many long trips. Ali is the most difficult to entertain. Brenden loves looking at the landscape and coloring. One that that is helpful is a tray -www.tabytray.com We bought these trays for the kiddos and they really help with crafts, books, and munchies. My only complaint is that the Klean Kanteens don't fit in the cup holder.

    For activities - Wikki Stix, clay/play doh, car bingo, Dover coloring & sticker books, colored pencils (crayons can melt) Cheerios "necklaces" and magna doodle worked for us. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate custom work too! And mine isn't nearly as specialized as yours. I began to just hate it so much, I decided no more custom orders, just have to buy stock items... Sometimes I consider getting rid of the etsy all together, for the same reasons you listed, homework, deadlines, not having time for what you want to make.
    But yours are so awesome, I can see why people would keep coming back with even bigger food items.

    ReplyDelete